Innovation through experimentation [Stefan Thomke, book author and Harvard Business School professor]
Mar 24th, 2020 by diggintravel
"Business experimentation brings the scientific method to management decision-making. If you make changes without running experiments, you’re playing the lottery." - this is quote from our today's guest Stefan Thomke.
He is a Harvard Business School Professor and author of the book Experimentation Works: The Surprising Power of Business Experiments. Stefan is an authority on the management of innovation and has studied the best companies like Microsoft, Amazon, Booking.com, and Netflix, among others.
What you will learn about business experimentation from this interview?
- Real examples from Booking.com, Microsoft, Apple, JCPenney, and the retail world
- Why is business experimentation much more than just digital optimization and A/B testing?
- How to organize for experimentation: 3 organizational models based on your size and maturity
- Why is generating hypotheses crucial for your experimentation?
- Experimentation platforms: build your own or use a third party tool?
- Testing big vs. small incremental changes
- 2 types of experiments: cause-effect experiments (optimization) and exploration discovery experiments
- How can airlines experiment in the offline, non-digital environment?
You can find the link to the full interview article with transcripts and all links here: